Saturday, February 26, 2011

Shows #34 & #35: Magooby's Joke House

I did two shows tonight at Magooby's Joke House and had a great time.  The eight o'clock show went well and I had a good set in front of roughly one hundred and seventy-five people.  I did about ten minutes and did really well despite a minor stumble at the end of a joke.  It wasn't that big of a stumble... I told a joke slightly different than I'm used to.  When it didn't get as big of a life, I tried to stretch it an extra line to get a bigger laugh and it came up short.  A different joke ended up getting a big applause break in the middle of my set.  Getting one of those doesn't suck.  Overall, it wasn't my best or most consistent set but it was solid.

The ten o'clock show was a smaller crowd (around one hundred people) but a better set for me.  I did thirteen minutes and every joke connected.  I wanted to change things up and do some different jokes than I did on show one.  I did only did about five minutes from set one and fixed the mistake I made earlier.  It ended up going great and getting my biggest laugh of the night.  It was also cool that Carl Labove was quoting my joke to me after the show.  He is a really awesome guy and an incredible storyteller.  It's been great working with and getting advice from Carl.  He is a great conversation and good friend to young comics.  

I have two shows tonight before my run at Magooby's is finished..  It is kind of bittersweet in a way.  I've loved working with these guys and this club.  During my second set, I remember thinking at one point "This is fun... I can't believe I'm actually getting paid to do it".  Stand up is a high and something I really do have a passion  for.  I would drive hours and pay to do it.  It still boggles my mind that occasionally we get paid to tell jokes.  

I hope that someday I'm doing this every weekend at a lot of different places.  Making a living at stand up is kind of a pipe dream but you never know... it could happen.  It probably won't.  I just hope that it's this much fun and fresh a few years from now.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.