Saturday, February 12, 2011

Shows #25 & #26: Varsity Lounge and Magooby's Joke House

I had two shows tonight.  First, I did ten minutes at Varsity Lounge (formerly known as EJ's Landing) in College Park.  I followed that up with a nine minute set at Magooby's Joke House in Baltimore.

I worked on a lot of new jokes, as well as crowd work at Varsity Lounge.  I really like my new opener that I did for the first time tonight (and then did again at Magooby's)... There are some jokes that you write and even if they don't get a laugh or the audience doesn't get it, you just like.  I'm lucky that the opener killed twice tonight.

Varsity Lounge is interesting.  It is a weird and small room that tends to get rowdy and out of control at times.  Tonight was alright.  However, I'm still wondering why some couple had a baby there.  There was literally a dumpy woman walking around the show with crying baby (that couldn't have been older than a few months).  I'm no parenting expert but a bar comedy show is no place for a small child.  Overall it was still a good set and a good opportunity to work on new jokes.

After that I raced over to Magooby's... I didn't have much time in between shows and was proud that I made it there in forty minutes (despite google maps saying it would take fifty-four minutes).  The late show at Magooby's had over two hundred people in the audience.  It was awesome performing for that crowd, and I absolutely crushed it.  I did a really strong nine minutes and it was the most fun I've had on stage in a while.  It was really nice ending this week in comedy on a high note.

A shout out to my friend Jay Szech for a great featured set.  It was also nice meeting Andy Pitz and Desi Alexander.  They were really nice and talented guys.  I hope to work with them again.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.