Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Show #9: Magooby's Joke House

A little background... Magooby's Joke House is the biggest and best comedy club in Baltimore.  Last month Magooby's decided to attempt breaking the world's record for the longest comedy show.  At the time, the record was fifty hours.  Magooby's started making plans to break the record by planning a fifty-five hour comedy show.  Around the same time, the Laugh Factory in Los Angeles beat its own record by doing a show that lasted eighty hours.  Not deterred,  Andrew at Magooby's scrambled and planned a show that is going to set the Guinness record at eighty-one hours.

The show started at 2:30 on Monday afternoon and will end this Thursday night at 11:30.  I did my first of three sets (originally it was four but I gave up one of my sets due to my work schedule) early this morning at 3:30 am.  I have to say...it ending up being a blast.

There were about fifteen audience members (plus another fifteen comics and staff members).  I thought it was going to be tough trying to entertain a handful of people (who had been there for hours and was tired), but it ended up being a very freeing experience.  I ended up having a lot of fun during my thirty-one minute set.  I did about three-quarters of my planned set and worked in some stories and crowd work.  The set felt comfortable and spontaneous.  I worked on a few new bits and would like to expand on some new ideas that came up.

It really was great practice and fun being part of this show.  Not to mention, all proceeds from the four days will go to the Special Olympics... so its something to be proud of on a lot of different levels.  My next set is tomorrow afternoon and I hope it is as much fun performing and hanging out with comic friends.

Anyway, it is 5:46 am, and I should try to get some sleep before my day job.  Until then, take care of yourself....and each other.

Mike

P.S. Tommy's sister is a whore.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.