Friday, January 7, 2011

Show #4: Magooby's Joke House

I did an eight minute guest spot at Magooby's Joke House tonight.  It ended up being a really good set and great show all around.  My friend Mike Storck headlined and the very funny Jimmy Merritt featured.  With about two hundred people in the audience and a great line up, I ended up doing my tested/solid material.  I had a really fun set and got really good input from Storck afterwards.

I'm still a newbie when it comes to stand up, so doing shows in front of crowds that big is rare.  One of the things I have to work on is stepping on laughs.  I listened back to my set tonight and a few times I got a really big laugh or an applause break and jumped into the next joke a few seconds too soon.  I need to remember to slow down and let the laughs ride out a bit.  Pauses can sometimes be a good thing.  That's a valuable lesson your Uncle Mike here needs to learn. 

My next scheduled show is Thursday, but I'm going to work on new material Monday and Wednesday at open mics.  Until then, here is a reel from my recent headline set at Harry Browne's.  I picked a few clips from the show that were not already online and posted it on youtube.  That show was my first headline show and at thirty minutes was my longest set to date...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.