Monday, September 6, 2010

Hangin' at the Double Deuce

So I had a gig at a "redneck bar" the other night. It turned out to be a great time with a packed and very receptive audience. I did some new jokes and dusted off some old ones too. I really did have fun and was surprised that the set went over as well as it did. However, my favorite part of the night came after my set....

A drunken redneck with a Vandyke (note: a lot of people would have referred to his facial hair as a goatee, but its important to point out to that a Vandyke is when a guy has a mustache and hair on his chin. Not a goatee, but a Vandyke) came up to me and said: "I just want you to know I was the one in the back bashin' ya. Yup, I was bashin' you. I just want you to know that you weren't very funny tonight... but you gotta a lot of balls for getting up there".

It is important to point out that he wasn't mean. He didn't come up to me and yell: "You suck!" It was the equivalent of a guy listening to a bar band, getting drunk and at the end of the night going "I SHOULD START A BAND! I COULD BE A SINGER! YOU GUYS NEED TO PLAY SOME MORE SKYNYRD! I LIKE BEATS! NOT LIKE MUSIC BEATS! LIKE VEGETABLES AND SHIT!"

Anyway, I had a great time and a good set in front of 150+ people... but it was the one guy that gave me the greatest compliment I've never gotten. Stuff like that keeps you humble.

Be well,
M

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.